Monday, March 12, 2007

Episode 3: Biscuits from scratch



Making this episode of my show was a little tricky because we filmed it while my brother was awake. Every time I tried to say something he would shout out, "Mama!" But my biscuits turned out perfectly, even with all of his "help."

I picked biscuits for this episode because I love any excuse to get the honey jar out and my mom will usually let me have as much honey as I want on my biscuits. Also because so many of my mom's friends ask her for the recipe and they think making biscuits is tricky. How crazy. All you have to do is mix up some stuff and put it in the oven. Easy Cheesy!

You will need:
2 cups of flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt (Or just a few shakes.)
1/2 cup of butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup milk

Turn your oven on to 450 degrees

Stir together the first 5 ingredients. Cut in the butter with 2 knives or a pastry cutter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Add the milk and stir until the dough clings together. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, knead a few times and then flatten with your hands of a rolling pin to about a 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a biscuit cutter, cookie cutter or a cup. Put the biscuit on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Eat them warm drenched in honey or jam. They're also yummy with an egg sandwiched in the middle.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Thank you so much, Retta, for your biscuit demo. I cannot wait to make them. I plan to do it this weekend! And, I just wanted to tell you that you're very patient with your brother! I'm sure he appreciates that.