Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Episode 4: Pie crust



Last week we were invited to a potluck and the plan was to take an apple pie. So we made the pie and split it into two episodes. Consider this Part 1 of 2: The crust.

When I made this recipe I used a little whole wheat flour. You can use the same portions and make it totally with all-purpose flour or totally with whole wheat flour. I've also made this same recipe with pastry flour. Since it was a fruit pie I went easy on the whole wheat. But if you're making chicken pot-pie or something like that then you may want to make it meatier.

You will need:
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup of whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup of cold butter, cut into small pieces
3 or 4 tablespoons water

Mix together the flour and salt. If you're making your crust in the mixer just put the butter in and let it get mixed up with the flour. If you're doing it by hand just cut it in with a pastry cutter (Like I did with the biscuits in Episode 3.) or use two knives to cut it in. Then add up to 4 tablespoons of cold water. In the mixer you almost never need more than 3 tablespoons because it mixes really well. If you're doing it by hand you may need 4, but don't use more than that. It will get too gooey and hard to work with. Keep mixing until it's all moist and can form into a ball. Make a disk and wrap in plastic to use later or roll it out and top your favorite pie. The disk will keep in your fridge for a few days in and in your freezer for a couple weeks.

One of the best things about making pie crust is that it doesn't have any eggs. That means you can taste it. It's so buttery and YUMMY! Even before you cook it!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Thanks to your show, I now have no excuse for purchasing a pie crust at the store.

Tegan said...

I think that your show, Retta, is amazing! I tried making pie crust from my cook book but my pie crust was REALLY bad. Anyway your crust was awesome! =]]