Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Episode 12: Play dough


We've had a lot of rainy days lately, and we have a lot left to come. And making play dough is a really fun thing to do on a day you're stuck in the house. I know it's easy and cheap to get at the store, but for some reason making it yourself makes it more fun to play with. The recipe I listed calls for adding 1 teaspoon of oil, but I left it out when I made my batch. I understand that the oil is supposed to keep it from drying out too quickly but after a week my oil-free play dough is as fresh as when I first made it. So it's up to you if you want to use it.

1 cup flour
1 cup warm water
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon oil
1/4 cup salt
food coloring

Mix all ingredients, add the food coloring last if you plan to make your play dough all one color. (Otherwise wait and knead in the colors after your play dough is cooked.) Stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from pan and knead until blended smooth. Place in plastic bag or airtight container when cooled. Will last for a long time.

No comments: